Wednesday 12 March 2014

KNACKERED BUT HAPPY

This 3 week trip covered about 1,800 km. Click on this link to see the map.

The journey home kept me on the move for about 13 hours. Maybe it was a wrong choice to get a flight from Lisbon, via Budapest, to Prague but it was a very good price. The trip has been a very enjoyable one considering the lousy weather for the first 10 days. It ended with days of sunshine and that's what counts. The last day was spent in Lisbon, one of my favourite places to be, and the hostel, Be My Guest, made it a perfect end of the trip.


Cascais. Sand castle maker from Plzen!!!!!
I have just received a 70th birthday card for that swiftly approaching day which reminded me of the last day in Lisbon. Not wanting to spend the day in the city, I decided to head out to Cascais (by the sea) once again. 
Being over that age I have made a point of asking for reductions. Got a train ticket from Coimbra to Lisbon, half price, for 7 euros, and just over 2 euros for a return to Cascais. Spurred on by this wonderful perk I decided to dash back to Lisbon and get the train to Sintra, again at a bargain price. But not so lucky with Sintra palace, which I didn't enter and probably never will. 

The Convention of Sintra, signed in Sintra in 1808, goes down in British history as one of those strangely English farces. A bunch of geriatric senile British commanders allowed Napoleon's defeated army to return to France complete with all their weapons and war booty, by courtesy of the British Navy. 
And the much superior Seville Alcazar (palace/castle) is free for me!!!!



The Lisbon police were having a practice for some sort of celebration and I wondered how many there were left in the city. 





Been to Sintra a few times before. Its always a feast for the eyes with the old town and the Moorish castle standing high above on the hill. Somehow, I have always ended up in a small out of the way cafe for a dinner. You get a friendly service from the ladies who work there. The cafe, 'a Pendoa', is down the steep narrow street beside the white painted English phone box.

  
That's it. The end of another trip. Next planned trip to Norway in June but there are a lot of days till then.


Leaving Sintra again

No comments:

Post a Comment