Wednesday 5 March 2014

AVEIRO AND COSTA NOVA

The wet Porto experience came to an end yesterday when I took the train down to Aveiro

The night before, dodging the showers, I managed to get some pictures of night time Porto, but my heart wasn't in it. Just longing for a day when I didn't have to dry out.


Aveiro didn't look very promising and, yes, it started to rain almost as soon as I got there. 



But Wednesday morning dawned a little cloudy and went progressively from worse to better. Aveiro has a happy sort of atmosphere with some strikingly unusual architecture. Here's the Aveiro Rossio Hostel which is one of the best I have found in my travels. 

Then there are some of the scenes around this town, often referred to as the Venice of Portugal.



There is a local bus service from near this canal that goes down to a little cheerful colourful place called Costa Nova. Its on a spit of sand, on one side lies the Atlantic and on the other is a salt water lagoon where shellfish collectors go out at low tide. 






During the summer Costa Nova is crowded with holiday makers but today, even though the sun was shining, I felt like I was the only visitor. Many houses are extraordinarily colourful like a stereotype seaside town.






 


The old and the newer blend in together making it a fascinating place to see. 















On the Atlantic side its a completely different place. The severe previous winter gales have thrown up tons of sand, covering many of the board walks that traverse the dunes.






No comments:

Post a Comment