Sunday 9 March 2014

FROM COIMBRA BACK TO LISBON






It was a bit too sunny and warm in Coimbra to spend any time doing this blog. Also the Grande Hostel de Coimbra is near the top of my list hostels. Not only that its near the top of a hill with grand views of Coimbra.
This is an old well established place which students at the university often use as a temporary base before finding more affordable accommodation.






My one and only full day there was taken up by wandering up through the park at the top of Placa de Republica which took me up to the same level as the University building, the highest point in the city.



Gate to the park


As far as the aqueduct goes, it has been a bit confusing bit I am sure I will get there in the end. I think it has to be Roman, like in Segovia, Spain. Once risen above the this area, the Coimbra University monumental buildings begin.



The guilded library is inside this building and the university is one of the oldest in Europe, founded in 1290. No photos allowed inside the library but managed a sneaky picture in the graduation hall nearby.



And then the view from the university.










Coimbra has a long history and was the capital of Portugal in the middle ages. The long established university has also given the city a high status in Portugal. 





Most people know something about Lisbon, Porto or the Algarve, but this gem only 200 km north of the capital seems to be left out of most itineraries. It definitely has a lot going for it and well worth visiting. 


Anyway, finally, breakfast before I left for Lisbon.

A coffee and a very tasty pastel de natas. Deeeeelishus



1 comment:

  1. Captivating Article!
    Since I got a chance to interact with you virtually on this platform, I would like to seek your attention towards Moustache Hostel!! They have their hostels in 18+ location all over India. Recently I got a chance to stay at their Goa Hostel and trust me I felt like my secdond home. I got a chance to interact with fellow travellers. I made some good friendships and memories.
    In case if you are looking for Hostel accommodation in Goa then Visit www.moustachescapes.com
    This is the best hostel in Goa. Reserve your room and thank me later :)

    hostel in Goa

    best hostels in Goa

    ReplyDelete