Sunday 23 February 2014

MADRID

I had a visit to the Madrid royal palace in mind before coming to Spain, in fact it was the only place on my 'to see' plan. 

But on the way to the palace I found the Coca Cola workers in a square gathering for a protest. I remembered hearing about Coca Cola's need, they say, to shed 750 employees at their Madrid plant. With 40% unemployment, the workers need this like a hole in the head. 
I said to a couple of Indians who were visiting the palace that even Europe had its maharajahs. Unfortunately cameras aren't permitted inside, but it really is sumptuously decorated, crammed full with priceless artifacts. So sorry nothing for the inside but here's some pix of the exterior. BTW. Its half price for oldies (5 Euros). Dont think I would have paid 10!

Not far from the palace there is a massive building which reminded me of those Stalinist constructions that were nicknamed 'Stalin Wedding Cakes'. There is so much similarity, was it by accident?

The weather has been pretty well perfect except it would have been even better with a few more degrees. 







But the pigeons like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment